Monday 28 November 2011

Back to my old self

Unlike last week, I did forget to blog yesterday.  Well, I did remember late on in the afternoon, but the moment passed and I forgot again.  In my defence, I can say that I was distracted.  More on that later.

Worship on Sunday:

Hosanna, Hosanna
These are the Days of Elijah
My Jesus, My Saviour
You are My King
Isn't He?

I can feel the worship getting better and better lately, the above were certainly appreciated.

During the message, My Jesus, My Saviour came up as a topic when the speaker said that once he was unable to sing it, particularly the bit "forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand" - using a double analogy.  Firstly he couldn't get up that high.  Secondly, the commitment to love and to stand wasn't there either.  And I thought, yeah, that was me as well, up to 5 or 6 months ago.  In fact, on Saturday at singing lessons, to demonstrate my improved vocal range, I sung My Saviour to my singing tutor.  She loved it, and she's even encouraged me to bring in my guitar and a SOF one day to practice.  And I also thought about the reason why my "conversion" experiences in 1990 and 1999 went so horribly wrong - I didn't mean business with God.  This time I do.  No way am I going to walk away as easily.

I came back from church and got busy on the database for a little while.  I had promised myself that there would be no new songs or new introductions before the end of the year, bar Christmas (such choruses and hymns can only really be sung the fortnight around Christmas anyway).  SOH had Flame on the Wirral on his MW radio.  A song came on that almost made me sit up to attention, and my spirit leaping up and down in excitement.  It was one I had heard before, maybe at some time during this year - it seemed very much my predecessor's taste - but, oh, man, have to introduce that one...and soon...oh dear, bang goes the promise.  At least it was to myself only, and not to God.

Within 2 hours I had it written out on Musescore, on the PP database, and also on my MP3 player, courtesy of Kingsway website and the SOFs.  Isn't that incredible - 2 hours?  20 years ago, it would probably have taken a week or more to get it together.  I couldn't listen to more than 30 seconds of it after doing all that, I was just overcome.  In fact, this morning, it took extreme self control to stop myself bursting into tears on the bus listening to it... Title of it I will at some point state in this blog, call it a weird superstition.  It may be introduced as early as this week - I'm having another fight with the choruses, but I'm sure He'll prevail.  You'd think it would be Frustrating.  In fact it's Fun.  I make no apologies to the enemy for treating it so.  I'm back to my old self, excited as a 3-year-old seeing things for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment