Monday 21 November 2011

One small step towards maturity

I didn't forget to blog yesterday.  In fact, mid afternoon I had the posting app up ready, but I realised that I needed to ponder and digest a little more, all that had happened that day.

Worship Sunday:

I believe in Jesus
Take us to the River
I Lift my Hands
Jesus, my Strength

And later on, after the message, Be Still.

It was short as another group needed the centre.  The guest speaker, an on-fire preacher who is driving in the fast lane of the Holy Spirit Superhighway and doesn't show any signs of slowing, spoke on the inheritance and gifts from God that He is willing to give us if we're only pro-active enough.   He's a lovely guy, I spoke a few words with him before the service, and he told me he doesn't look in his diary more than a week ahead - if he did, he would probably faint from exhaustion just by looking at it.

He had a word for me too, after I shared my testimony.  "God will turn your affliction".  I am still having difficulty fully grasping what this means.  I am sure, I believe, that this will come out in the coming weeks.  It was a powerful message of reminder - we are Children of God, too often we forget it.  It wasn't a prosperity preach, just a message that God only wants the best for us, and can give us the desires of our heart.  I looked at my guitar and thought, yes, that was a desire that God gave me.  Then, my predecessor was mentioned.  The speaker said to me, if my predecessor had not stepped away, I wouldn't have been raised up.  I saw the opportunity, I wasn't sure if I wanted it, but I took it as I believed God wanted me to.

We overran a little.  But - the group after put no pressure on us, it was almost as if they could see that spiritual bubble around us as God finished what He needed to do that day.

Later on, I finished off the music for next week, and opened up the blogger app....then closed it.  I needed to think some more.  In the kitchen, I was making tea, maybe a bite to eat, and God seemed to speak to me.  "Are you trying to live up to <name of predecessor>?"  My gut reaction was NO.  Absolutely not.  Well, maybe a bit.  She was pretty good...maybe more than a little...

OK.  Face it. You are trying to be the new HER.  Be you.  Yes, she does have an annointing, but I've given you a unique one.  Use it, and stop trying to be her.

Those that know me realise I have a childlike spirit, even at times when we're supposed to be solemn.  God isn't asking me to shed this, but He is asking me to temper, to think before I act and to be myself, because that's how He called me, not as an incarnation of someone else.

It is sobering. But it is extra assurance of how much He loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment