Sunday 2 October 2011

When the Spirit leads

Worship today:

Who Paints the Skies?
Father God I wonder
Above all Powers
Take me to the River
Jesus Christ (Once again)
All Hail the Lamb

Yes...long.  The Spirit took over about halfway through.

Generally, I pause after hymn/chorus 2 or 3 and ask for prayer or a word from the congregation.  I paused exactly halfway through, after Above all Powers.  Silence, until the pastor shared a testimony from Friday, then another got up and shared a story, then another.  I needed that long break and I just went with the flow, listening, drinking some water, giving a few words of comfort myself.  For this obedience I was rewarded with a wonderful second half of worship, culminating in a reward for the church with a tongue and interpretation; you don't get those often enough.

Somewhat slothful this week picking next week's - maybe I am suffering a bit of apathy as we're down to 3 until the week after, then I can perhaps bring in a couple of new ones that I'm hoping will sound great with the returning flute and clarinet (and maybe saxophone..this could get very interesting).  However, I promised our pianist a favourite of his, which fits well, I looked through Musescore earlier and I think I have them all now.

Further ponderance on the guitar; do I want to exchange the instrument that I know so well for one I will have to "break in", however versatile...?  Knowing how God can work sometimes, I think when I see it, and play it, I will just know.  It isn't me, or the instrument leading the worship though, and wonder just how important the guitar is, or me for that matter.  In the scheme of things, not much.  I'm not undervaluing myself - just stating reality. It's great I'm not alone.

On the way home from singing lessons yesterday, I thought how God has used my perceived weaknesses.  I'm not a born leader - in fact, I've always said the best power is from the back, and the leaders get hit first.  So God made me a worship leader.  I feel I'm not a good public speaker.  So I was led to do a message one Sunday.  I feel I am not a terrific musician - so God guides my fingers and has developed my voice.  I feel I am flighty, and lack discipline to pick the songs every week.  So God puts the desire in my heart to be disciplined and hardworking where this is concerned, and it is He that picks them, not me.  Either God has a sense of humour, or He sees something I don't.  Bit of both, methinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment