Sunday 25 December 2011

Memories of an Anglican childhood

My parents weren't practising Christians, but I was educated in an Anglican "Holy Trinity" school.  Plenty of memories invoked by the hymns that we had practiced on Thursday night.  Just me and the flautist; I had picked 7 hymns, 1 very modern, another less than 50 years old, the rest ancient words of Christmasses past, and I tried to savour the words when I could.  Out of the 7, only 1 did not get a turn (Angels from the Realms of Glory), the rest were played either before the service started or after the intros:

Joy Has Dawned
See Him lying on a Bed of Straw (Calypso Carol)
Hark! the herald-angels Sing
O come, All ye faithful
As with Gladness
O Little Town of Bethlehem (the St Louis version, popular with the US, rather than our traditional Forest Green)

It was relaxed, and there was a surprising number of people in our small "chapel" section of the main hall.  I was going to be leading worship next Friday, but the church has decided to take a week off from this, so I'm going to enjoy the brief break.

First Christmas leading then.  I am really looking forward to leading at Easter.  Last Easter was the first time I was part of a worship team, next Easter is likely to be the first time leading, if God wills it.

May all of you out there always remember that, ultimately, it was why He was sent into the world, rather than how, that is the true gift that God wants us to remember, not just at Christmas, but all year round.

Have a blessed Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment