Tuesday 1 May 2012

Kingsway

I've decided to put something else that is "regular" on this blog, to a) give me something more to focus on, b) to encourage me to post more and c) make my blog a little more WL diary like - I can look back on this with the tags and can find out interesting stuff; ha, but not necessarily useful or expedient :o).  What I'm getting at is that although my personal feelings have been forefront, and are very relevant at times, I should be including some items into this scrapbook blog that are more generically WL related.  I have a couple of ideas, but, anyway, whilst it's quiet (sssshhhhhh) physically and spiritually with me, let's kick off my first idea.

This series will be on the Kingsway freebie downloads, a new one is available every Tuesday, sometimes first thing in the morning, but usually just before lunch.  The freebie is quite often a sample song from a recent album, an artist or group that is under special focus (e.g. Rend Collective Experiment, or Delirious? re-releases).

To access these downloads, you need to register with Kingsway.  It doesn't hurt, it's completely free, and they don't bug you with email (one or two or week at the very most, although Easter and Christmas can sometimes increase this number - stands to reason...).  As a WL, I look upon this as an extra resource, as well as entertainment - usually you get a free mp3 plus sheet music (there have been a couple of instances when it's been free sheet music only - obviously copyright owner/songwriter reserves the right etc and that's completely sound and proper) It is invaluable - especially if I hear one I really like and want to share it with the church or group (or even keep something in reserve for those ministry times - it's all in the preparation).  Along with my own thoughts, I will include whether I am aware if the song is covered by CCL in approved publications and any popular source I know of (I will stick with SOF, Source and Mission Praise, you will need to find out any others yourselves....or maybe for a fee....no, joke...:o) )

Anyhow - there's an interesting video available on the webpage this week, a short documentary, featuring, amongst others, the writers themselves.

Title: Name Above All Names
First Line: Oh, God You're High Above all the Nations
Artist: ALM.uk (Abundant Life Church worship group)
Composer: Jonathan James, Mark Stevens
Mp3: Yes
Sheet Music: Yes
CCL: Yes
Popular sources: No popular source currently.  See below
Previously heard by me/on mp3 player: No

My thoughts: It's fairly typical contemporary Christian Rock, which sits alongside songs such as "At Your Name" very comfortably.  I like it actually, but it doesn't really suit my church - just a little too youthful.  What is interesting about this week is that the sheet music is in fact an "arrangement" so includes voice direction.  Rather than the usual Kingsway sheet music format, it appears to be taken from some other publication - for those that like that sort of thing (there was a wonderful set of arrangements at Christmas for "Joy Has Dawned") - it may be worthwhile finding out where it came from to see if the whole publication contains more of the same.  It could possibly be the digital songbook called "Name Above All Names" or "Send Me - Live Worship", the only two available sources that I can see.  I don't think it's a song that could set the Christian world on fire, but it is likely a good addition for churches with large congregation, who are mostly in the 15-32 age bracket.

Kingsway (Home page)

No comments:

Post a Comment